Monday, June 22, 2009

Kedai Kopi Ping Wah - Home Cooked Food @ Paramount

I used to help to serve foods & drinks at this coffee shop during the mid 80’s when I was courting Jo (operator’s daughter), now my wife. This shop in Paramount Garden can be considered one of the oldest lasting coffee shops in the area. Ping Wah started off sometimes 36 years back as a typical Chinese coffee shop then slowly selling “Chap Fun” economy rice to mostly students of F.I.T (Federal Institute of Technology) and finally went full swing on home cooked foods business. Their business has been kind and good over the years but now there are so many competitors and business is tough.

Today I am back for lunch with my buddies. Steamed Village chicken, the new operator (Mr.Hoo) went all the way to Mentakab to buy this chicken. This Hainanese loves to market & cook.

Signature dish of Ping Wah, "Ho Lan Shi Chee Yoke" sliced fried potato with pork meat (the original version is with more gravy).

Stir fried Veggies…
Another signature dish of Ping Wah is the deep fried fish “Mah Yeaw Yee” with flagrant ginger & soya sauce.
Stir fried Veggies…

My previous posting over here showing a few of their original dishes and the original operator….

2 comments:

Somewhere in Singapore said...

I like the chicken...

Rebecca Saw said...

came here for the highly recom Ho Lan Shi Chee Yoke" whc I agree is good. But honestly the rest of the food we had were so-so.
Red wine chic, sambal squids, veg (very oily) and the one dish tht cheesed me off - the 2 type cooked eggs - with chai poh..soooo salty can die! The guy there some more tell me (ohh..chai poh salty one mahh..)
Duhh..so if i order soya chic then it must also be unbearably salty cos "Its soay sauce mahh??"