Friday, November 17, 2017

Cycle Malaysia Day 34 - Singapore - Johor Bahru

After 2 nights in the Lion City it was time to move on with my tour and today was the beginning of Stage VII with a plan to stay at Johor Bahru for 2 nights. Good morning and good bye Little India.
One final browse around the area.
Taking more pictures before I pedal on.
My breakfast at Shing Boon Hwa Food Centre in Dickson Road.
I relied very much on my Oregon for direction and at times it could not give me the best route but somehow it will navigate me out of the place. Passing by Bukit Merah Road as I slowly got out of the city centre.

I knew I have gone the wrong way using the Bukit Timah Expressway (also known as BKE) it has comfortable road shoulder for bicycle but dangerous where ever there are roads coming out to join the expressway, vehicles are moving fast at the turnings and crossing at these turnings is pretty risky.
After all the adventures on this expressway I managed to get closer to Woodlands safely.
Oh gosh... look at the motorcycle lanes, the queue was really long and it was moving very slow indeed. I started to observe the motorists and wasn't sure whether I could pass through the check points with my Brompton. I noticed that many of the motorists carrying auto card devices on their bikes and I have none.
Yeah... I got through the check points and was asked to use the extreme booth for bike without passes (I guess) and was on the causeway on my way to back to Malaysia.
A lady on a roller scooter crossing the Causeway.
After clearing the checkpoint everyone seems to be inpatient to cross the causeway especially the motorists probably it was after the long wait.
My plan to look for an accommodation around Jalan Wong Ah Fook area, I found an old hotel, Meldrum Hotel and the only room at the Mezzanine level because of the bicycle. I like the location of Meldrum Hotel and the staff is friendly and helpful.
I started exploring the surrounding of the old Johor Bahru city and this Indian temple was busy with many visiting devotees. It is called Arulmigu Rajamariamman Devasthanamm and is one of the oldest temples in Johor.
This part of the city is truly lively I was glad that I have another day to explore the city and so many food to savour. No wonder it is a haven to the Singaporeans.
At last I found my old friend Sundar we were from the same class in the primary school in Kulim and I reckoned I have not seen him since we left Sultan Badlishah School in 1975 and that was a long time indeed.
We had dinner together and talked a lot of our pasts and his story how he ended up living in Johor Bahru. It was such a great moment meeting up with him and hopefully we will meet again in future.
I like staying at this Meldrum area it's full of people and activities. The food street at the back lanes is truly unique and hopefully the local authority could enhance the surrounding for a cleaner and comfortable atmosphere.
Day 34 - It's back to Malaysia to complete the journey on the western coast.

No comments: