Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Cycle Malaysia - Day 38 Pontian to Batu Pahat

Good morning Pontian and good bye The Corner House. We were ready to roll, the weather was fine and good.
Feeling jubilant and fresh to start off the day, Johor flags seen flying everywhere in the state.
A stop at this warung at Kampung Ayer Baloi, GPS : 1.592348, 103.330497 for breakfast.
Baki showed me his mum's relative house as we were riding on Jalan Pontian.
We stopped by this coffee shop for a drink and I ended up with a bowl of porridge after being enticed by the food at the counter. The name of the coffee shop is Restaurant Gao Feng at Rengit GPS : 1.679485, 103.158046
Welcome to Rengit  (龙引). This small town is in between Batu Pahat & Pontian Kecil.
Tin Leong Keng Temple of Rengit is popular with their celebration of 9 Emperor Gods festival.
Never before I have seen so many shops dealing with second hand goods even used bicycles are sold here, you just name it I bet you can find it here. In fact the whole road is Pasar Karat Rengit. I understand that most of these goods are recycled from Singapore.
Still on the road at Kg. Parit Amat Rengit Laut.
The river beside Kg. Parit Amat Rengit Laut.
My dear friend had to stopped the ride at Rengit and rushed back to JB for work. Thank you so much Baki for your encouragement and effort to accompany me. See you again in Melaka.
From Route 5 Jalan Tanjung Labuh I took a turning on the right to Jalan Sungai Suloh with a propose to visit a Chinese temple at the western side of Batu Pahat. The route at Jalan Sg. Suloh is rather undulating with a series of dragon backs to tackle.
After 9km on Jalan Sg. Suloh I reached a "T" Junction at Jalan Minyak Beku where I spotted a coffee shop at the junction I went straight in for a couple of cold drinks. It was very hot indeed and this stop was very much desired and appreciated. I had a good conversation with a gentleman in the coffee shop he was having his beer. Thank you Mr. Gentleman for some good information of the area.
Kedai Kopi Hai Chuan Wee the coffee shop where I took a good rest and had a good chat with a local.
The edge of Batu Pahat Chong Long Gong Temple 柔佛峇株海口石文丁崇龙宫 at Kg. Segenting located about 8km away from Batu Pahat town centre. 
Huge statue bearing the God of Prosperity arriving and arising from the sea is one of the prominent features seen at the temple.


A peep at the statue of Ma Zu, the Goddess of the Sea
Segenting (石文丁) is in the west zone of Batu Pahat is a small fishing village. Chong Long Gong Temple 柔佛峇株海口石文丁崇龙宫 has attracted many tourists to flock to this corner of BP.
Minyak Beku is a seaside village lying on the west coast of Johor, Malaysia. Kampung Minyak Beku is where the famous chiseled rock is located, a big rock about ten feet in size. The big rock was chiselled by the Siamese (Ayudhya) to contain fresh water. It was said the Siamese soldiers came here by boat to attack Malacca but was defeated by Tun Perak back in the 15th century. The chiselled rock became famous where it later replaced the name of Bandar Penggaram to Batu Pahat.
From Segenting I rode down using Jalan Pantai and arriving at Jalan Shahbandar.  I saw this attractive 3 storey old shop houses opposite the Customs Office.
At Jalan Enggan I patronised this cendol shop and I told myself I must try it especially on a hot sunny day. 

Akbar Cendol
12, Jalan Engan can be located at GPS : 1.848929, 102.926239 for a refreshing cold dessert.
While I was searching for a hotel I accidentally stumbled into this hawker selling Char Kuay Teow at a road side. I took a seat and order a plate.
In deed the Char Kuay Teow was delicious with an added fried egg on top.
Fully satisfied with the CKT and drink is F.O.C. It is sited at Jalan Pengkai GPS : 1.854646, 102.927699. It was easy to find a hotel in Batu Pahat, I checked into Hotel The Silver Inn.
It was laundry time. In the evening I took a walk to a food court near HSBC for dinner. Good night and Muar is my next target.

Day 38 from Pontian to Batu Pahat covering a distance of nearly 90km with a detour to Kg. Segenting.

No comments: